A new housing lottery has opened for a brand new and truly affordable housing development in the Port Morris area of the South Bronx.
Called The Willow, which is being developed by JCAL Development Group, the 112 unit building is located at 750 E 134th Street and Willow Avenue just steps away from the Randall’s Island Connector to the 512 acre park.
The development is being constructed under the Extremely Low and Low-Income Affordability (ELLA) program of the New York City Development Corporation and the New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development. Through this program, the project aims to provide much-needed and truly affordable housing to the Port Morris neighborhood.
In recent years, the area has witnessed an influx of luxury housing units that are far beyond the financial means of most residents in the community. By addressing this disparity, the project seeks to support the local residents and enhance the overall affordability of the neighborhood.
Monthly rents at The Willow begin as low as $410 for studios, $521 for one-bedrooms, $615 for two-bedrooms, and $701 for three bedrooms for qualifying households that make 30% of the Area Median Income which ranges from $17,006 to $52,530 depending on household size.
Residents will have access to several amenities like package lockers, bike storage lockers, storage rooms on each floor, a shared laundry room, and a rooftop view with stunning views of The Bronx and Manhattan skylines. One of the best features of the apartments is that they all have their own heating and cooling units.
Oh and three bedroom units have 2 bathrooms with the main bedroom having an ensuite bathroom.
The rents, unit breakdown, and income requirements for The Willow are as follows:
- $410 a month for studios for households making $17,006-$33,900
- $521 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $21,223-$38,130
- $615 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $25,509-$45,750
- $768 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $29,555 – $52,530
- $768 a month for studios for households making $29,280-$56,500
- $969 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $36,583-$63,550
- $1,152 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $43,920-$76,250
- $1,322 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $50,846-$87,550
- $1,126 a month for studios for households making $41,555-$79,100
- $1,416 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $51,909-$88,970
- $1,689 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $62,332-$106,750
- $1,942 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $72,103-$122,570
- $1,305 a month for studios for households making $47,692-$90,400
- $1,640 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $59,589-$101,680
- $1,958 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $71,555-$122,000
- $2,252 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $82,732-$140,080
Please note, for each unit, there are other requirements such as number of people per household and further income requirements based on household size so refer to the Housing Connect website for further details.
How to Apply
For those interested in applying, you have until September 12, 2023 and you can do so online or you can request an application by mail by sending a self-addressed envelope to:
c/o Wavecrest Consulting LLC
87-14 116th Street
Richmond Hill, NY 11418
Remember, you can only apply ONCE and you may not apply both online and by mail. Applying more than once can and will disqualify you according to the lottery rules.
5% of units are set aside for individuals with mobility issues and 2% for those with vision and/or hearing impairments. 50% preference for residents of Community Board 1 (to see which community board you live in, click here), and 5% for New York City employees.
Also, please note: We are NOT connected with this or any other real estate developments and cannot assist you in obtaining an apartment so please do not contact us regarding these units.
Good luck to all who apply!
Construction is expected to wrap up within the next couple of months with occupancy to begin some time this Fall.