Lottery now open for brand new affordable apartments as low as $919 for a 1 bedroom

A lottery has launched for affordable apartments in a newly constructed development in the South Bronx.

Located at 341 E 162nd Street in the Melrose neighborhood of The Bronx, the development was constructed on a lot that had sat vacant for decades and owned by NYCHA.

Melrose North Apartments

60 percent of the 171 units are set aside for set aside for formerly unhoused individuals or families with special needs that have been referred by city agencies and the remaining 40 percent of the units are the ones that are available via the affordable housing lottery system on Housing Connect.

Rents start as low as $919 a month for a one bedroom unit and $1,094 a month for a two bedroom apartment. There are also several units available with rents as low as $0 a month depending on your household income, however, no details have been provided as to how exactly qualify for these.

Melrose North Apartments, as the development is known, doesn’t have many amenities to write about other than the basic shared laundry room, community room, and outdoor space as well as a bike storage room which has become pretty standard in developments in recent years.

The development is also served by several bus lines and sits directly adjacent to the Melrose Metro North station which can easily take residents to, say Fordham, in just 6 minutes.

Breakdown, rents and income requirements for units are as follows:

50%

  • $919 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $34,689-$60,050
  • $1,094 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $41,966-$72,050

70%

  • $1,345 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $49,475-$84,070
  • $1,606 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $59,520-$100,870
  • $1,844 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $68,778-$115,850

80%

  • $1,559 a month for 1 bedroom units for households making $56,812-$96,080
  • $1,862 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $68,298-$115,280
  • $2,140 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $78,926-$132,400

There are also 8 units set aside for households with no minimum income requirements but making no greater than 50% of the Area Median Income and those breakdowns are as follows:

50%

  • $0 a month for 2 bedroom units for households making $0-72,050
  • $0 a month for 3 bedroom units for households making $0-$82,750
Melrose North Apartments

Please note, for each unit, there are other requirements such as number of people per household and further income requirements based on household size so refer to the Housing Connect website for further details.

How to Apply

For those interested in applying, you have until December 27, 2022 and you can do so online or you can request an application by mail by sending a self-addressed envelope to:

To request an application by mail, send a self-addressed envelope to:

P.O. Box 3004
2024 Jerome Avenue
Bronx, NY 10453

Remember, you can only apply ONCE and you may not apply both online and by mail. Applying more than once can and will disqualify you according to the lottery rules.

25% of units are set aside for NYCHA residents, 5% of units are set aside for individuals with mobility issues and 2% for those with vision and/or hearing impairments. 50% preference for residents of Community Board 4 (to see which community board you live in, click here), and 5% for New York City employees.

Also, please note: We are NOT connected with this or any other real estate developments and cannot assist you in obtaining an apartment so please do not contact us regarding these units.

Dear reader: Now more than ever, it is important to support local journalism, especially as told by a Bronx-born and raised journalist telling our stories. If you found this or any of our stories informative and enjoyed our photography throughout the past years, kindly consider donating to support local Bronx journalism for decades to come.

Facebook Comments