Tonight at the Bronx Museum between 6:30PM and 9:00PM (free admission), the community has a chance to envision what the Grand Concourse should and can look like.
The Grand Boulevard and Concourse, as it was originally known, is The Bronx’s most treasured thoroughfare as well as the closest we have to a “Main Street”. We were able to preserve part of the Concourse by pushing for landmark status which it received in 2011.
There’s no denying that it can be a safer and even more beautiful place than ever, which is why tonight there will be a community visioning session on what the future of our beloved Concourse can be.
With the success of Boogie on The Boulevard where we’ve almost seen double the numbers from last year’s 3 day event in this year’s last 2 Sundays, it has become more apparent than ever that car free Sundays in the center lanes are not only popular much needed space for creating community and a healthy one at that.
Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito said at this year’s first day of Boogie on The Boulevard that it should be extended all the way to the end at Mosholu Parkway like it was between 1991-1996 under then Bronx Borough President Fernando Ferrer. Mark-Viverito challenged Department of Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg to work together on just that.
The Bronx Museum of the Arts says in their invitation, “What is the future of the Boulevard of Dreams? Join artists, activists, and advocates for the Grand Concourse for a community visioning session. Learn about ongoing efforts to improve walkability and bikeability and share your own ideas to make the Grand Concourse safer and more enjoyable for everyone. Presented in collaboration with Transportation Alternatives.”
Hope to see you there tonight!
Check out the last two weeks of Boogie on the Boulevard. This Sunday, August 16th is your last chance to participate!
You must be logged in to post a comment.