Never underestimate the power of The Bronx.
On Monday when we started the petition calling for New York City to cancel the contract with Donald Trump at Ferry Point Golf Course after his disparaging remarks and factually incorrect remarks about Mexican immigrants, we thought it was just a pipe dream that we would be heard and listened to (click the link to sign the petition please!).
But now it seems that Mayor Bill de Blasio and his administration have heard our collective calls as our petition has reached over 5,000 signatures.
Yesterday, New York City Bill de Blasio announced that they are reviewing all contracts with Donald Trump and his organization of which Ferry Point Golf Course is one of them.
Even major GOLF organizations, are beginning to back away making our crusade even more important to continue to fight this battle:
“After an interview with the Golf Channel on Tuesday in which the Republican candidate for president claimed he had the support of the golf community despite his inflammatory comments because “they all know I’m right,” the PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, USGA and PGA of America jointly released a statement disassociating themselves from Trump.
The four golfing bodies are the latest to publicly back away from the embattled Trump, along with television networks Univision and NBCUniversal (the parent company of msnbc) and the department store Macy’s.” — MSNBC, Golf organizations the latest to back away from Donald Trump
Our collective voices, including the protest on Monday at Ferry Point Golf Course organized by Alex A. Gomez, a candidate running for city council district 13 in The Bronx currently held by James Vacca who is term-limited and cannot run for re-election in 2017.
Currently we have received almost 5,000 signatures on our petition to date and the mainstream media is listening to our voices. Now it is a sit and wait to make sure that our elected officials pay attention as well.
Some of the media coverage on The Bronx’s quest to be rid of Trump are as follows:
- Petition asks city to dump Trump golf course – News12 The Bronx
- Cancel Trump’s Golf Course Contract, Bronx Activist Urges City – DNAinfo
- Piden a la Ciudad cancelar contrato con Donald Trump – El Diario/La Prensa
- Macy’s Cuts Ties with Trump Over Immigration Comments; City Reviewing Contracts Awarded to Trump – NY1
- City now looking at Trump’s golf deal in the Bronx as fallout continues from inflammatory comments against Mexicans – PIX11 News
- Mayor Bill de Blasio blasts Donald Trump calling him ‘disgusting’ following anti-Mexican rant and reveals NYC is reviewing real estate billionaire’s city contracts – Daily Mail
Even ProjectBronx got in on calling out Trump:
We want to personally thank each and every one of you for making this possible for without the power and voice of the people, we would not have reached this point. It is too soon to declare any sort of victory, but the fact that the administration is listening and working on reviewing these contracts and the media is listening to voices, it sure is something to be happy for.
Kindly continue to circulate the petition!